I’m not sure if I spent more time cooking or photographing this meal — but hope you guys enjoy both. I came up with this recipe while cooking in my tiny Fordham dorm — its simple, healthy, and relatively quick to make.
PREP TIME: 30 MIN
COOK: ~ 1 HOUR
- 6 large peppers
- 2 large onions
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1/2 head of garlic
- 3 lbs of ground turkey
- 3 cups of quinoa
- fresh ground pepper
- crushed chili pepper flakes
- pepper jack cheese
- Chop onions, tomatoes & garlic — I prefer to slice the garlic but you can mince it instead.
- Wash and cut tops off of peppers, scoop out the middle flesh and seeds.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cook the quinoa (two parts water for one part of grain) and place in a large mixing bowl (follow directions on the box of quinoa!).
- Next, put olive oil in large pan and heat on medium-high fire. Once oil is heated add sliced garlic & crushed chili pepper flakes and allow garlic to brown slightly.
- Then add ground turkey to the pan. You can do two separate batches if needed. Put heat on high.
- Add salt and pepper to the mixture as you go. I don’t measure, I taste it along the way to see what is needed.
- Once turkey goes from pink to light brown add onions, more olive oil & spices.
- Add tomatoes and let cook down until turkey is nice and browned.
- Next, add turkey to the bow of quinoa and mix.
- Stuff the peppers with the quinoa & turkey mix then add cheese on top — no such thing as too much cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour or until peppers look cooked!
Any extra stuffing can be eaten alone for a meal or cooked with an egg for breakfast! You can also freeze any/all of the stuffed peppers and thaw and eat another time.